FlashlightNews Forums A flashlight message board dedicated to the principles of democracy, equality and freedom of speech. Join us and help develop a community of flashlight enthusiasts committed to the growth of our hobby.
January 18, 2017, 12:59:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advertising???  (Read 40735 times)
kaydee7
FNF Board Member
Flashaholic

"badges? badges? we don need no stinkin badges?"

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 10:15:24 AM »

I see the change as just changing source material to what you want to deal with ... not what they what to foist upon you ...   that is  a good thing...  so please continue...   aka  go for it ...

kd7

_________________________________________-
not related in any way to the kd of keidoman fame. shocked cool

Political Correctness, a doctrine, fostered by delusional, illogical minority's, rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that, it is entirely possible to pick up a squishy gooey turd by the clean end.
nightcrawler
Administrator
Super Flashaholic

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 05:13:31 AM »

OK, just a bump here.

I have added advertising to the site, but only in a limited fashion and only in a way that allows you to hide anything you don't want to see. Hope you don't find it intrusive or annoying.

Have you visited FlashlightNews.org today?
Vic303
FNF Board Member
Sr. Flashaholic

Professional Monkeywrangler

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 09:05:20 AM »

Oh?  You did?  Guess I will have to go look for it.

The Monkeywrangler's Blog
Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
Vic303
FNF Board Member
Sr. Flashaholic

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 09:06:17 AM »

Since it took a bit to actually FIND the ads, I don't think they are a problem at all.  If it generates you a smidgen of income for the site, I am fine with it.

fatlight
FNF Board Member
Super Flashaholic

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 08:15:31 PM »

It's cool with me NC  cool
nightcrawler
Administrator
Super Flashaholic

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 03:55:53 AM »

OK, I'll use this thread to update everyone a little on the advertising picture here on the forum.

As most of you know, I added some advertising to the site last month and we have had a small return (can't say what but let's say I'll need to stick to the 'Value Menu' at my favorite fast-food joint.) So I moved the ad block to the top of the page so it will be seen more readily by visitors to the site. I also want to get everyone's reaction to the placement in case we decide to go with direct ad sales to businesses like some other web forums do.

The top block is collapsible so if you don't want to see the ads you don't have to. I always want the choice to be with each member as much as possible.

Any thoughts or problems with this change?

nightcrawler
Administrator
Super Flashaholic

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2010, 06:13:45 PM »

One other thing on the advertising.

I'm beginning to think that we do need to start thinking about direct ad sales here on the forum. My financial situation has changed quite a bit over the past three years or so, and as I found this summer, sometimes there is more work to do here than I really realize.

If we did take ads, it would cover site costs and offer some compensation to me for running the place...it would also have the potential to make things more interesting for the members. I would insist that some percentage (say 25%) of all revenue go back to the members through our two annual contests. This way the members get some compensation for having to see ads on the site, and we all get more stuff in the giveaways.

Potentially, (and just as an example) 10 advertisers at $800 per year would be $8000 total revenue, with $2000 of that going to contest giveaways here on the forum, which would make them much more fun and interesting.

Anyway, I just wanted to let the board know what I was thinking on the subject. As always, if you're a regular member and have an opinion on this subject, just start a new thread in the 'Suggestions' forum to let us know what you think.

hatchet jack
FNF Board Member
Super Flashaholic

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 12:52:12 PM »

Any thoughts or problems with this change?

None at all.

One other thing on the advertising.

I'm beginning to think that we do need to start thinking about direct ad sales here on the forum. My financial situation has changed quite a bit over the past three years or so, and as I found this summer, sometimes there is more work to do here than I really realize.

If we did take ads, it would cover site costs and offer some compensation to me for running the place...

NC, I am all for this, in fact, I think it is overdue.  Even "labors of Love" cost money.  

...it would also have the potential to make things more interesting for the members. I would insist that some percentage (say 25%) of all revenue go back to the members through our two annual contests. This way the members get some compensation for having to see ads on the site, and we all get more stuff in the giveaways...

While this is a generous and thoughtful idea, I am thinking that either compensating yourself more appropriately or laying on an assistant, part time, (or both) may be a better way to go, at least initially.  Rather than committing to a specific figure, see how it goes.  You'd still be free to commit whatever largesse to contests that you'd care to, without jeopardizing your own budget.

Often wrong, never uncertain--
So, let's stop all this nonsense about how people are making principled choices and arguments based on issues.
Vic303
FNF Board Member
Sr. Flashaholic

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 01:08:44 PM »

Yeah, what HJ said.  Your offer of funding the contests thru ads is a very kind one, but you do need to make sure you are duly compensated for your time and efforts to keep the forum running, too.

nightcrawler
Administrator
Super Flashaholic

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 08:59:43 PM »

The whole idea of 'compensation' for what I've done with the forum is one that bothers me a lot. On the one hand, I see the argument that a forum owner puts in hours keeping things together (at least that's the idea) and deserves to be compensated/rewarded for that.

On the other hand though, I really don't like the idea of profiting from the efforts of others. Take away all the members posts here and leave mine...well, that's no forum at all.

So for me to be comfortable doing this, I need to give something back to the community because it's all of you who make this place go..not me. And I think I prefer the idea of being upfront about what comes in and where it goes, so setting aside a set percentage of any revenues for member rewards makes sense to me. Plus it would take pressure off any future advertisers as far as being expected to contribute to our contests...they would already be doing so through their ad purchase.

My biggest concern tho' is keeping this place comfortable for everyone. I certainly don't want $ considerations to change what we have going here.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Join Our Forum

Due to the massive number of spam registrations we have received over the past few months, forum registration has been disabled.

If you wish to join us, just email flashlightnews (at) gmail.com with your desired user name and password, and we'll manually activate your membership as soon as we can.

FN / FNF Search

Custom Search
Search posts on our forum as well as press releases from FlashlightNews

Recent Topics

[November 02, 2016, 02:21:17 PM]

[October 22, 2016, 12:59:05 AM]

[May 26, 2016, 06:02:08 AM]

[May 26, 2016, 05:59:34 AM]

[May 25, 2016, 04:46:33 AM]

[May 25, 2016, 04:33:00 AM]

[April 16, 2016, 11:01:24 AM]

[February 15, 2016, 11:33:25 AM]

[January 27, 2016, 10:07:08 PM]

[January 09, 2016, 12:11:22 AM]

ShoutBox

Last 10 Shouts:

SPAM

July 20, 2016, 02:37:13 AM
Time for a little SPAM

Grin

will

July 08, 2016, 02:15:13 AM
Just for fun - a July Shout

LIKUFKJHEIHFJKDJHF

Grin

will

May 24, 2016, 11:39:12 AM
Just had to post here .... Wink

lumenary

February 06, 2016, 05:05:54 PM
Morning all, hope ur freezing ur asses of, 41C here today:)

nightcrawler

December 25, 2015, 12:49:37 PM
And a Merry Xmas as well!

gearhounds

November 26, 2015, 06:19:27 AM
Happy turkey day everyone!

gearhounds

November 25, 2015, 09:37:08 PM
Lost in the doldrums...

nightcrawler

November 22, 2015, 10:44:54 AM
Going twice!!!  Grin

will

November 18, 2015, 10:28:25 AM
going once !!!!!

will

November 12, 2015, 02:20:30 AM
just checkin' in  Wink

Show 50 latest

Translate This Page

Calendar

January 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Upcoming Events
Groundhog Day
Upcoming Birthdays: Gunnerboy, PEAUGUST1 (68), Peewee (31), Groundhog66 (51), Brad (50)